West Rim Destinations
Grand Canyon West, the Skywalk and the Hualapai Reservation
This is where the Grand Canyon Skywalk and other attraction are located, including the Grand Canyon West Airport. The increasing popularity of the Skywalk brings a wealth of visitors to the Hualapai whose main source of income is tourism. To get to the West Rim visitors need to fly via plane or helicopter, or make the drive down Diamond Bar Road. The closest town to Grand Canyon West is Meadview, AZ which has some lodging and facilities, as well as access to Lake Mead NRA.
The West Rim is closer to Las Vegas than Grand Canyon Village and a portion of the drive goes through a beautiful Joshua Tree Forest. This drive is an isolated are of sage brush and high desert giving you a wild west type vibe. Your trip to the rim will be fairly uneventful except for a modern-day dude ranch you'll pass on the way. Once you reach Grand Canyon West there is an entry fee you'll need to pay along with the fee to visit the Skywalk or other activities.
Besides the Grand Canyon Skywalk, the West Rim offers several other activities for tourists. There is a Dude Ranch, Colorado River boat rides, Hummer Rides, an Indian Village Replica, Cowboy and Indian shows, and various other viewpoints. The Tribe has a restaurant along-side the Skywalk and there are snack and drinks available in their souvenir shop. If you've been to the North Rim and South Rim, or just have a short window from Vegas, Grand Canyon West is a great option.
Havasupai Reservation and Havasu Falls
Not far from the small town of Seligman, AZ is the turn-off for the Havasupai Indian Reservation. This road leads through high desert sage and pinyon juniper forest to Hualapai Hilltop the jumping off point to visit Havasupai Falls and Supai Village. The only way to arrive to these destinations is hiking the 10-mile trail or catching a limited first come first serve helicopter flight. The main attraction on the Havasupai Indian Reservation is Havasu Falls and several other waterfalls found along Havasu Canyon. This area offers world class hiking, swimming holes, mules rides and a chance to learn about the culture of this unique tribe.
Guru Tips for Exploring the West Rim
The West Rim is home to the Skywalk and Grand Canyon West as well as Havasu Falls and some off the beaten path adventures. Nearby Lake Mead, Hoover Dam, Black Canyon and Las Vegas also offer a variety of attractions and activities. Here’s a couple tips for making the most of a West Rim visit.
Reserve your hotel or campground in advance
- Although it's not as busy as the South Rim, West Rim Lodging options are limited so it's a good idea to book in advance. Check out our West Rim Hotel guide to learn more or make reservations for your West Rim adventure.
- Camping is also limited on the West Rim, but Havasu Falls is extremely popular and offers a world class backpacking and camping trip. Check out our Havasu Falls page to learn more.
- Another great option to explore the canyon and other nearby attractions is to rent an RV. Outdoorsy has a ton of options from camper vans to larger RVs.
Book a tour or ticket before you get to the canyon
- A guided tour is a great way to really experience the Grand Canyon and having a reservation means you won't have to worry about finding activities when your on vacation.
- Learn more about tours with our complete list of Grand Canyon Guided Tours.
Get geared up
- Make sure you have the right gear for your trip. From whitewater rafting and hiking to multi-day Havasupai adventures good gear is essential.
- We’re definitely gear junkies here at the Grand Canyon Guru. Check out our recommended gear for our favorite canyon-ready clothing, travel bags and outdoor gear as well as rental options to outfit your trip.
More resources for your West Rim trip
- It always a good idea to have travel insurance for your trip. Check out rates and get travel insurance before you head to the canyon.
- If you need more booking options for hotels, rental cars, flights, tours and tickets just check out our Grand Canyon reservations page.
- Take a look at our featured tour and recommended West Rim hotel below and learn more about West Rim Visitor Centers, locations and more.